Discover the ultimate guide to Dodge Journey years you should steer clear of. Don’t make a costly mistake – click now!
Are you in the market for a used Dodge Journey Mid – size crossover? While it’s definitely a popular choice with plenty of power and fair reliability ratings, before you make a decision, it’s crucial to know which model years to avoid.
Picture this: You’re cruising down the road, enjoying the open air, and feeling confident in your choice. But suddenly, brake pad problems, engine troubles, or water leakage dampen your experience. Before you know it, you’re on your way to the repair shop. If only the Dodge Journey model year you purchased had decent reliability. Don’t let that happen to you!
In this article, we’ll guide you through the worst Dodge Journey model years and help you find a reliable option that won’t leave you stranded on the side of the road.
- The worst of Dodge Journey’s model years to avoid are 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 due to numerous issues including brake issues, engine problems, water leakage, keyless entry issues, and accessory problems.
- The 2009 model year is widely regarded as the worst, with common problems including brakes, control wire terminal, starter motor, power braking, power steering failure, engine issues, transmission failure, and interior water leaks.
- The 2013 Dodge Journeys are recommended as it addressed and resolved many previous electrical issues with the battery terminals, offering a reliable engine, remote keyless entry system comfortable interior, anti-lock brake system, and improved fuel efficiency.
- Regular maintenance is important to extend the lifespan of a Dodge Journey, and consulting a trusted mechanic and using reliable sources for information on common problems and expert reviews is advised.
Recognizing the Worst Of Dodge Journey’s Model Years
If you’re considering buying a Dodge Journey Mid-Size Crossover, it’s important to recognize the worst model years to avoid, especially considering the high starting price. These specific years have been plagued with numerous problems that you would want to steer clear of.
The 2009 model year in particular has issues with cruise control, brakes, engines, and overall build quality.
The 2010 model year also experienced problems with the four-cylinder engine performance, brakes, axle seals, engines, interior electronic components, and failure of the four-speed automatic transmission.
Moving on to the 2011 model year, prevalent reliability issues with the engine, brake, and electrical system have been reported.
Finally, the 2012 model year continues to have ongoing issues with its engine reliability resulting in a frozen engine, noisy brakes, and bad brake performance, leading to high annual maintenance costs.
It’s crucial to be aware of these problematic years so that you can make an informed decision when purchasing a Dodge Journey as a reliable vehicle and a practical choice for families.
Recurring Problems in Dodge Journey Models
In terms of reliability, the recurring problems in certain model years include issues with brakes, engines, interior electronics, transmission, and electrical systems, especially with the initial models.
These problems can cause frustration and inconvenience for owners of Dodge Journey vehicles. Transmission issues coupled with the fact that the brakes may wear down prematurely, creating noise when applied and potentially compromising safety.
Engine issues such as overheating due to coolant flow challenges, left cylinder head issues, and premature head failure have been reported in multiple model years.
Interior electronics may malfunction, like the power passenger seat, especially in older models and less so in the 2009-2017 Dodge Journey. This can affect the vehicle’s overall functionality if not put through proper maintenance, leading to poor reliability.
Transmission-related issues have also been reported, affecting performance and longevity.
Additionally, electrical system problems have been prevalent in some model years and could prevent the vehicle from starting properly, and lead to expensive repair.
It’s important to be aware of these recurring problems when considering a Dodge Journey purchase or when owning one already. Regular maintenance and consulting a trusted mechanic can help address these issues proactively and extend the lifespan of your vehicle.
Dodge Journey Recalls: What You Need to Know
One thing to keep in mind is that there have been recalls for certain issues with wiring leading to potential fire hazards and defective electrical connectors in specific model years.
It is important to be aware of these recalls when considering a Dodge Journey purchase. Recalls are put in place by the manufacturer to address safety concerns and ensure the vehicle’s reliability due to high maintenance costs.
In the case of the Dodge Journey, these recalls are related to faulty wiring that could potentially lead to fires and defective electrical connectors. It is crucial to check if any potential models you are interested in have been affected by these recalls and if they have been properly fixed by an authorized dealer.
The Best Dodge Journey Mid – Size Crossover Models to Consider
Consider checking out the 2013, 2015, and 2016 models of the Dodge Journey for reliable engines, improved fuel efficiency, and advanced safety features. These model years have addressed many previous issues and offer a more satisfying driving experience. The table below highlights some key features of these models:
|Improved fuel efficiency|
|Advanced infotainment options|
|Substantial suspension system|
|More safety features|
|2016||Upgraded suspension system|
|Advanced safety features|
These model years provide not only reliability but also better performance and enhanced safety measures. By choosing one of these Dodge Journey models, you can enjoy a comfortable ride with improved fuel economy and no check engine light, while having peace of mind knowing that advanced safety features are in place to protect you and your passengers.
Safety and Feature Concerns in Dodge Journey
Safety and feature concerns in the Dodge Journey can be addressed by thoroughly evaluating the vehicle’s condition and consulting a trusted mechanic.
Before purchasing a Dodge Journey, it is important to consider the safety features and potential issues that may arise. One of the main concerns with the first-generation Journey (2009-2012) is its safety record. It is recommended to check for any recalls or known issues related to safety, such as faulty wiring or defective electrical connectors.
Additionally, performance issues with the V6 engine should be taken into account. While it is expected to have a powerful engine, some models may experience performance problems and issues with engine cooling. Fuel economy and overall performance should also be considered before making a decision.
When evaluating a used Dodge Journey, interior and cabin issues should not be overlooked. Check for proper functioning of vents, windows, and headliners to ensure there are no potential issues.
To address these concerns effectively, it is highly recommended to consult a trusted mechanic who can assess the vehicle’s condition thoroughly. They will be able to provide valuable insights about any existing problems or potential future issues.
By taking these steps and seeking professional guidance, you can make an informed decision when buying a Dodge Journey while ensuring your safety and peace of mind on the road.
Now let’s move on to essential buying and maintenance tips for Dodge Journey.
Essential Buying and Maintenance Tips for Dodge Journey
When buying and maintaining a Dodge Journey, it’s important to regularly maintain the vehicle and consult a trusted mechanic for guidance. Here are some essential tips to consider:
- Regular Maintenance: To ensure the longevity of your Dodge Journey, make sure to follow the recommended maintenance schedule for oil changes, tire rotations, and other routine services. This will help prevent major issues and keep your vehicle running smoothly.
- Evaluate Vehicle’s Condition: Before purchasing a used Dodge Journey, thoroughly evaluate its maintenance history and current condition. Look out for any signs of neglect or major repairs that may indicate potential problems down the line.
- Consult a Mechanic: It’s always wise to have a trusted mechanic inspect the vehicle before making a purchase. They can identify any hidden issues or potential red flags that you may not notice on your own.
- Use Reliable Sources: When researching common problems and reliability scores, rely on reputable sources like CarComplaints and U.S. News. These platforms provide valuable insights from experts and real consumer experiences.
A Closer Look at the Worst Dodge Journey Models
Take a closer look at the worst model years of the Dodge Journey to understand their common issues and potential problems. Here’s a table that highlights the main concerns with each year:
|Model Year||Common Issues|
|2009||The interior felt cheap and low-quality|
– Cramped and uncomfortable third row of seating
– Lackluster engine options and poor gas mileage
|2010||– Minimal changes from the earlier model|
– Improved fuel economy for smaller engines and front-wheel drive
– Larger V6 engine only available with all-wheel drive
As you can see, both the 2009 and 2010 models have their fair share of problems preventing a pleasant driving experience. The interior of the 2009 Journey feels cheaply made, while the cramped third row makes for an uncomfortable ride. The model also suffers from a power steering fluid leak, faulty power windows, and a high cost of repairs. Additionally, the engine options this year are lackluster, resulting in poor gas mileage.
The 2010 model didn’t see many improvements from its predecessor, but it did offer better fuel economy for its smaller engine when equipped with front-wheel drive. However, if you’re looking for more power with a larger V6 engine, you’ll be limited to choosing an all-wheel drive configuration.
Considering these issues, it may be best to explore other alternatives or focus on later model years that have resolved some of these common problems.
Features and Alternatives to Dodge Journey
Now that you have a better understanding of the worst Dodge Journey models to avoid, let’s take a closer look at the features and alternatives to consider. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
Lackluster Features and Alternatives
- The 2009 and 2010 Dodge Journey models had cheap interior materials, uncomfortable third-row seating, and poor engine options.
- If you’re looking for better alternatives without a third row, consider the 2009 Mazda CX-7 or Ford Escape.
- For a vehicle with a third row, the 2011 Kia Sorento offers impressive standard features.
Consumer Complaints and Issues
- The 2009 Dodge Journey has received the highest number of complaints, repair costs, and average mileage when problems occur.
- Some common complaints include premature wear of brakes and rotors around the 30,000-mile mark and engine failure reported at around 60,000 miles.
Overall Disappointment of Dodge Journey
- While the Dodge Journey is stylish and spacious with seating for up to seven people, it never achieved widespread popularity.
- It received average-at-best ratings and is largely considered forgettable compared to its competitors.
Dodge Journey Years to Avoid
- To avoid multiple issues like brake problems, engine problems, water leakage, keyless entry issues, and accessory problems, it is best to stay away from model years 2009 to 2012.
With this information in mind about features and alternatives as well as common consumer complaints about the Dodge Journey models we discussed earlier,
Common Consumer Complaints About Dodge Journey
The most common complaints from consumers about the Dodge Journey include premature wear of brakes and rotors, engine failure, and uncomfortable seating situations due to water leakage. These issues can significantly impact your driving experience and overall satisfaction with the vehicle. It is important to be aware of these potential problems before making a purchase decision.
To further understand the common consumer complaints about the Dodge Journey, take a look at the table below:
|Common Complaints||Description||Impact on Driving Experience|
|Premature Brake Wear||Brakes and rotors wearing out prematurely, requiring frequent replacement||Reduced braking efficiency|
|Engine Failure||Engines failing unexpectedly, resulting in costly repairs or replacements||Vehicle breakdown|
|Water Leakage||Water leaking into the interior of the vehicle, causing discomfort and potential damage||Mold growth and unpleasant odors|
Understanding the Overall Disappointment With Dodge Journey
Despite its stylish appearance and spacious interior, the Dodge Journey has failed to achieve widespread popularity and is largely forgettable. Here are four reasons why the Dodge Journey has been a disappointment:
- Lackluster Performance: Backed by JD Power, the Dodge Journey offers lackluster engine options and poor gas mileage, making it less desirable compared to other SUVs in its class. Its engines have been known to have performance issues, including sudden stopping and low fuel economy.
- Limited Features: The Dodge Journey lacks advanced features that are now standard in many vehicles. It also has limited options for third-row seating and all-wheel drive, which can be deal-breakers for some families.
- Reliability Concerns: The early model years of the Dodge Journey, specifically 2009-2012, have had multiple issues reported by consumers. These include brake problems, engine failures, water leakage into the interior, keyless entry malfunctions, and accessory problems such as bad doors and windows.
- Better Alternatives Available: With its average-at-best ratings and numerous reported issues, many shoppers would be better off considering other SUVs on the market that offer more reliability, features, and overall value.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Some Common Mechanical Issues Found in Specific Dodge Journey Model Years?
J.D. Power states that common mechanical issues in specific Dodge Journey model years include brake problems, engine troubles, water leakage, keyless entry issues, and accessory problems. These issues can be found in the 2009-2012 models.
What Factors Should Be Considered When Purchasing a Dodge Journey to Avoid Potential Problems?
When purchasing a Dodge Journey, consider factors to avoid potential problems. Research the vehicle’s history, consult a mechanic, and evaluate its maintenance history and current condition. Use reliable sources for information.
Why Should Certain Dodge Journey Model Years Be Avoided?
Certain Dodge Journey model years should be avoided due to common mechanical issues. It is important to research and understand the history of a used Dodge Journey to find a reliable and problem-free model.
How Important Is It to Research and Understand the History of a Used Dodge Journey?
Researching and understanding the history of a used Dodge Journey is crucial. It helps you avoid potential problems, find a reliable model, and make an informed decision. Don’t overlook this step in your car-buying process.
What Are Some Tips for Finding a Reliable and Problem-Free Dodge Journey Model?
To find a reliable and problem-free Dodge Journey model, research its history, software updates, and maintenance records. Consult a trusted mechanic for an assessment. Use sources like CarComplaints and U.S. News for expert reviews and reliability scores.
In conclusion, if you’re in the market for a used Dodge Journey, it’s crucial to be aware of the worst model years to avoid.
From brake problems to engine troubles, these issues can lead to major headaches and costly repairs.
Remember the old saying ‘knowledge is power’ – do your research, consult a mechanic, and use reliable sources before making your purchase.
By taking these steps, you’ll increase your chances of finding a reliable and problem-free Dodge Journey that will provide you with many miles of happy driving.