The BMW 3-Series created the modern sporting sedan segment 40 years ago and has since set the pace among its rivals as far as dynamics, efficiency and emotionally rich design are concerned. The latest-generation BMW 3-Series represents another flawless embodiment of this commitment to benchmark excellence.
This BMW M3 is the first to ever feature turbochargers under its bonnet. BMW ditched the high-revving naturally aspirated V8 of the old car in favour of a twin-turbo straight-six unit to improve efficiency and give stunning mid-range urge that means out on the road, this M3 is a real weapon that can embarrass much more expensive supercars.
The 3.0-litre M TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder engine combines the best of both worlds: high rev characteristics with up to 7,300 rpm and superior power with a maximum of 550 Nm torque. The 317 kW (431 hp) M engine accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in just 4.3 seconds (Steptronic: 4.1 seconds) (with 7-speed M DCT with Drivelogic). The M dual-clutch transmission with Drivelogic is an innovative 7-gear dual-clutch transmission that is specially designed for the BMW M high-rev engine. The system boasts a traction-optimised automatic gear selection, Launch Control, Low Speed Assistance, as well as Automatic Start/Stop function. It makes it possible to change gears extremely quickly without an interruption in tractive force.
Bi-Turbo direct fuel injection and typical M fine-tuning ensure that the engine responds directly to the slightest nudge of the accelerator with enthusiastic boost and excellent torque.
An unadulterated racing feel: The Competition package from BMW M3 offers even better performance thanks to an enhanced engine output, a specially tuned Adaptive M suspension, new calibration of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), the Active M differential and 20″ M light alloy wheels with mixed tyres.
The Active M Differential optimises traction and driving stability when changing lanes or accelerating out of curves, when taking curves at high speed or on roads with uneven surface texture
The Adaptive M suspension’s electronically controlled shock absorbers constantly adjust to road conditions as well as driving style within milliseconds. The suspension settings can be adjusted from comfortable to sporty-dynamic via the Comfort, Sport and Sport+ modes.
BMW’s intuitive iDrive system comes as standard, controlling a large screen on top of the dash. It’s a great system that integrates nicely with the standard 3 Series’ interior design – although for this M Division model you can turn the dial up when it comes to sportiness with options such as carbon fibre trim inlays.
Adaptive LED Headlights with full LED technology include integrated turn indicators, low-beam headlights, high-beam headlights, as well as daytime running lights for safety and optimal illumination of the road.
- Urban in l/100 km 12.0 [11.1]
- Extra-urban in l/100 km 6.9 [6.7]
- Combined in l/100 km 8.8 [8.3]
- CO2 emissions combined in g/km 204 
- Tank capacity, approx. in l 60
- Top speed in km/h 250 
- Acceleration 0–100 km/h in s 4.3 [4.1]
- Unladen weight EU in kg 1,610 [1,635]
- Max. permissible weight in kg 2,100 [2,100]
- Permitted load in kg 565 
- Permitted axle load front/rear in kg 990/1,170 [990/1,170]
- Cylinders/valves 6/4
- Capacity in ccm 2,979
- Stroke/bore in mm 89.6/84.0
- Engine power in kW (PS) at 1/min 317 (431)/5,500–7,300
- Engine torque (Nm) at 1/min 550/1,850–5,500
- Compression ratio : 1 10.2
- Tyre dimensions front 255/40 ZR18 95Y
- Tyre dimensions rear 275/40 ZR18 99Y
- Wheel dimensions and material front 9 J x 18 inches, light-alloy
- Wheel dimensions and material rear 10 J x 18 inches, light-alloy